Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Securely Secured

I LOVE my new job...don't get me wrong there are pros and there are cons but for the most part my choice of job this summer is flawless. As security guard for a theme park there are many responsibilities...more than I had originally bargained for. My job does comprise of standard security things such as patrols and standing guard at certain places but unlike most security jobs a security job at a theme park demands constant attention. My first day on the job was rather easy. One of the more experienced officers, Rob Otero, had me shadow him. All in all that day was uneventful due to rain...this however made for a very drenched me. The next day was sunny and nice out and I was on my own. This is where I did most of the learning. All the radio lingo and signals were foreign to me. I did have a decoding chart but had accidentally left it at home...so I'm sitting there listening to base calling out signal 7s and 26s and I'm like WTF?! Not much harm came that day thankfully. Just two days ago I helped apprehend 8 drunk kids from a ride. They were all in their late twenties and two of them tried resisting arrest. Too bad the jail was full or they would've been sent to the slammer. But wow let me tell you...there isn't too much of a difference between me and the other security guards and the on site police officers. It was an absolute adreneline rush to be there on the scene of an arrest...It felt like I was in a COPS episode. The cons of the job are easily gotten over when you look at all the good you're doing for people. Cons include soar legs blisters on your feet and sunburns. A lot of good comes from what I do there. I reunite lost children with their parents, help people find things they've lost, help keep the park clean, and so on and so on. I can't wait until the park opens full-time! Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride some of the attractions...it's hard as hell to describe a ride to people you've never been on yourself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TRIPLE ZOMG! I'm totally sad now, because we watched that movie together at your house and you forgot about it :(

And yeah its the best movie EVAR! And it was Gene Wilder and a sheep, and I like peed myself when I saw that scene! LOVE IT! I can't wait until you move to columbia, maybe then we can actually hang out..

--Sar